I think that today's title says it all. Fortunately, we're proving
to be fairly competent (though that may be too strong a word) at
charades. Better yet, Jian Hong is MUCH better at learning English
than we are at learning Mandarin. And while we are on the subject of
translations, those of you who were with us at the referral stage may
recall recoiling at the news that indicated that our daughter "loves eat
snake." As it turns out, we have learned that the translation should
have read: "Jian Hong loves eat SNACK." So funny--and boy is it true!
She and David will be well matched in that respect (and many others)!
Here
are some pictures taken with Jian Hong's new camera--yet another
wonderful suggestion from the O'Cain family. And one more mistranslation--my apologies to a very special member (one of many special members) of the O'Cain family who I have been referring to as "Li Hong." Jian Hong has just informed me in no uncertain terms--and in English and Chinese letters--that her friend's name was Bi Hong, not Li Hong. Oops again.
Most of these were taken
by Jian Hong herself and, though I will post just a handful, be sure
that there are MANY, MANY pictures of her new shiny purple sneakers--she
is so proud of them! Here they are:
 |
| Happy, tired Baba on the night of Gotcha Day. |
 |
| Showered and in her new PJ's on our first night together. She slept in her new jacket. |
 |
| Lovely Eva (our guide) on adoption day. Where would we be without her?????? |
 |
| Baba signing some of our adoption paperwork. |
 |
| PetSmart, Guangjhou style. These and other not-so-cute critters line our sidewalks. |
 |
| Our precious, precious daughter. |
 |
| Guangjhou Restaurant, where no one else spoke English and we have little idea what we ate. Perhaps it's best that way. |
 |
| Self-portrait with her new camera. |
 |
| Coolest shoes ever. |
 |
| Tired, hungry mama with no clue what is on her plate and very limited aptitude for chopsticks. |
 |
| Wo ai ni, Jian Hong |
Well I am so glad the whole snake thing was staightened out. I was worried about you having to wrangle some snakes out in the woods for dinner one night. LOL
ReplyDeleteOh and I wondered about the Li Hong. I asked Lily about it and we thought maybe they had started referring her as Li Hong because her American name is Lily and is was a combo of the two. No worries.
Love the pictures, brought huge smiles to my face. And I just cannot get over how beautiful she is!!
your daughter is STUNNING!!! That hair! Those gorgeous white teeth!!!! I am so happy for you! I know its a turing journey! Lifting you up as we approach this new year! Praying for many blessings in your lives as you (& Jian) get more and more used to falling in love with one another!
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Sara
(we traveled with the Ocains to meet their new daughter, Ellery!)